-This blog is dedicated to Dark Art, in all its myriad forms-

I make every effort to properly identify and credit each artist contained herein. Feel free to contact me about inaccurate information; or, suggestions about other artists to feature, including yourself.

NOTE: Click on individual pictures to access the larger formats.

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Mark Prent

Born 1947, Poland

"In 1975, Mark went to Berlin, West Germany on a major international grant, the Guest Artist in Berlin Program of the Deutsche Akademischer Austauschdienst (DAAD), where he resided with wife, Susie, for nearly two years. While living in Germany, he had two major solo exhibitions in German museums. Following a brief return to Canada, Mark returned to Europe in 1978 for a major retrospective exhibition at the Stedelijk Museum in Amsterdam. In 1983, he moved with his family to Vermont."




"Mark Prent is still making sculptures, but his materials-of-choice have changed from polyester resin and fiberglass to pigmented silicone 'skins' over gypsum-polymer 'skeletons'. The technique involved is similar to the signature method that he developed in the early 1970's with polyester resin, that of building-up multiple reverse layers of translucent pigmented material to achieve a believable vitality in the cast positive."



"Apart from producing sculptures for exhibit, Mark is also creating sculptures specifically for use in his performance work. These performances are, for the most part, one-time events which are recorded as video or film vignettes. Often, the performances are too elaborate to be repeated or performed anywhere other than on the Prent family premises. For example, they may take place entirely underwater or involve the partial destruction or change of the sculptural figures during the performance. These performance pieces represent a new collaborative relationship with his son Jesse Prent, who is a filmmaker. Some of these performances are as disturbing as Mark's early sculptural work."



"His work was the subject of a 1972 lawsuit in which a gallery, exhibiting one of his works consisting of a butcher’s counter of human body parts, was charged with 'exhibiting a disgusting object'. Prent was the subject of the 1976 documentary by Tom Burston 'If Brains Were Dynamite'." Also in 1980 a documentary entitled 'Overmood' by Brian Mckneil was made.



Besides sculpture and performance pieces, Mark produces jewelry; all of which can be found on his website. The most descriptive and concise article of ever seen written about him is Catharsis and the Incarnate Nightmare





5 comments:

KVB said...

Hi. I am just letting you know that I replied to you over at Shades of Me about the Black Wood template. I think it will work fine for you. Check out the reply: http://kellyvbrown.blogspot.com/2008/11/probama-blogger-template.html?disqus_reply=4128534#comment-4128534

I love your blog, BTW! Is this the one you intend to use the Black Wood theme on? If so, I think it's a great choice. Will look great!

Majase Cyc said...

Wow, thanks!

Coming from a person that has so much experience with blogging, and all the cool ones you have, it means a lot to get a compliment from you.

As I indicated in the response section, I'm going to give it a shot and see if the template will jive with the custom edits I've done on that blog.

Thanks again,

Cyc

KVB said...

Hi Cyc,

I'm thinking that when you install the new theme, it's definitely going to wipe out your tweaks, so if you save the current theme, perhaps you can go back through it, study it and find out which codes you need to add or change in order to get the tweaks back. OR if you figure out what tweak you want back, we can always put our heads together and find those tweaks again so you can keep your new theme. I always say, where there's a will there's a way, if you just keep looking.

Majase Cyc said...

Hey Kelly,

Well, unfortunately the Black Wood template changed too much of the style within this blog, so I'm staying with what I have right now. Guess I'm kind of used to the simple black layout and how it looks at this point.

However, I'm considering using it, or one similar, for a blog I'm thinking of making which will feature all types of tips, shortcuts and tweaks I've found and discovered over time that are either a pain to find on the web, or just helpful in general.

It will mainly consist of things I've personally tried myself (and know works), so would be limited to a desktop PC, instead of Mac and covering many subjects--from keeping your system running smoothly, downloading content, finding useful software etc. No original idea for a blog I know, but perhaps it will help an occasional person.

We'll see how it goes. Thanks again for your help and the offer to assist me with that template. I may be picking your brain in the future though, lol.

KVB said...

I think that's a great idea. It's sort of what I decided to do at my other website, Web Discoveries (http://kellyvbrown.com). I post about web tools, information and resources to help others. Since I headed in that direction, I got 20+ subscribers! So yeah, those kinds of blogs are great. I hope yours does well, and please let me know about it, so we can exchange links. :)